ACADEMY FAQs & POLICIES
- Students are expected to arrive on time to every class, unless previously approved by the instructor.
- Students should notify the instructor ahead of time if they will be absent from class. Due to the collaborative nature of theater and scene work, more than two(2) absences can result in a student being dismissed from that session. Students may rejoin the following session. Participation in the years final showcases are mandatory.
- We value students being able to participate in outside productions, but students must communicate clearly with their director in regards to their Academy schedule.
- If a student is cast in a production, they may be released without penalty from all Academy workshops one week prior to final tech.
- Appropriate physical contact by the instructor and/or fellow classmates may be utilized to make on-stage adjustments and help students participate in exercises and rehearsals. Please notify the instructor if you have any unique challenges relating to physical touch.
- Students will be given a binder that outlines the class schedule and provides space for stduent’s to take notes, write down any homework given, and store materials given to them during class.
- It is the student’s responsibility to bring this binder with then to EVERY class and to have completed all homework and assignments BEFORE coming into class which includes memorization.
- Parents should talk with their students and refer to the student binder before contacting instructors with questions about coursework.
- Students are expected to maintain a level of respect for other members in the class and have the ability to be age-appropriately quiet when necessary.
- PLEASE NOTIFY THE INSTRUCTOR IF YOUR CHILD HAS ANY CHALLENGES WITH READING, WRITING, INDIVIDUAL, OR GROUP COMMUNICATION.
DANCE DRESS CODE:
Dancers are required to wear athletic leggings or shorts, and athletic tops or t-shirts.
- Ballet slippers are required and can be pink, black, white, or tan.*
- Hair will be secured off the face with headbands, ponytails or buns.
- Jewelry should be minimal (particularly earrings) for personal safety.
- Capezio, Bloch, and Freed are the preferred brands of ballet slippers
- Ballet slippers can be purchased at “The Ballet Shop” at 3310 Hickory Rd., Mishawaka.
ACTING WORKSHOP DRESS CODE:
- Closed toed shoes are mandatory.
- Appropriate exercise clothing that is not too baggy or revealing.
- Students should own a pair of hard-soled character shoes.
- Character shoes are worn for company acting workshops as well as for auditions.
- Ladies: MaryJane style leather shoe with a heel ranging in height from 1.5”-3”
- Gentlemen: hard sole uniform oxford shoes.
Payment is required at the start of each session. Tuition may be broken down into four convenient plans.
Company Payment Options:
- Yearly • $750 • one (1) payment
- Half Year • $775 • two (2) payments of $387.50
- By Session • $800 • four(4) payments of $200
Academy Payment Options: individual class price
- Adult Drop-In rate (Dance / Improv option only) $20
- Standard Academy rate is $15.50, per hour, compared to $8.50 for company students.
- Individual prices are located in the specific class descriptions.
For more details about setting up payment plans with PAYPAL credit, click here.
CLASS PERFORMANCE POLICIES:
South Bend Civic Theatre values the idea of process over production in our classes and so to make sure the students have the most time learning the skills we minimize the final “performance” to a demonstration. For most of our classes, the final class of each session has 30 minutes set aside at the end for family and friends to observe what the students have learned. This is not a performance or production, but rather an opportunity to get a better sense of what the students experienced throughout the session.
· If you cancel your registration after it has been processed, but at least two weeks before the class begins, we will refund tuition, less a $25 registration fee per class; a $50 fee for full-day classes and camps; and a $100 fee for Academy Programs.
· If you cancel your registration less than two weeks before the class starts, no refund will be given. Any tuition paid for the cancelled class, minus the registration fee, becomes a credit, which you may use towards future classes or camps which must be used through the end of the current season.
· SBCT reserves the right to cancel a class if enrollment is insufficient. Any tuition paid will be refunded in full.
· No refund or make-up classes will be provided for classes cancelled due to inclement weather.
· SBCT classes may not be cancelled on days that area schools are closed due to weather conditions. Please keep an eye on our website as well as our Facebook page for any weather updates. You may also refer to our Bad Weather Guide by clicking here.
CASTING / OUTSIDE PRODUCTION POLICIES:
Casting is based solely on talent and requirments laid out by each individual director. Being involved in the academy will equip you with the tools to help perform well at an audition but does not guarantee casting. Company students have specific performance opportunities that are only cast from members within that season's company. We value and encourage our students to work with as many programs and directors as possible to become well-rounded performers. In order to not overwhelm the student's workload they may be excused from their acting class obligations during the week before final tech, and throughout the performance. The student will be asked to provide their director with an evaluation/comment form in order to track the student's progress during their time away. We value students being able to participate in outside productions, but students must communicate clearly with their director in regards to their Academy schedule. If a student is cast in a production and is unable to participate in workshops, they will be released, without refund, from the current session.
Our typical classes do not end in a performance but rather a demonstration that is free to the public to view. Other types of classes/camps that are connected to a full performance will be a ticketed event in which audience members will pay $5-10 a seat. All proceeds from ticket sales go directly to our scholarship fund or to underwrite the cost of producing the work.