ACADEMY FAQs & POLICIES
BASIC STUDENT EXPECTATIONS:
- Students are expected to arrive on time to every class, unless previously approved by the instructor.
- Students should notify the instructor ahead of time if they will be absent from class.
- Appropriate physical contact by the instructor and/or fellow classmates may be utilized to make on-stage adjustments and help students participate in exercises and rehearsals. Please notify the instructor if you have any unique challenges relating to physical touch.
- Students are expected to maintain a level of respect for other members in the class and have the ability to be age-appropriately quiet when necessary.
DANCE CLASS DRESS CODE:
Dancers are required to wear athletic leggings or shorts, and athletic tops or t-shirts.
- Ballet slippers are required and can be pink, black, white, or tan.*
- Hair will be secured off the face with headbands, ponytails or buns.
- Jewelry should be minimal (particularly earrings) for personal safety.
- Capezio, Bloch, and Freed are the preferred brands of ballet slippers
- Ballet slippers can be purchased at “The Ballet Shop” at 3310 Hickory Rd., Mishawaka.
ACTING CLASS DRESS CODE:
- Closed toed shoes are mandatory.
- Appropriate exercise clothing that is not too baggy or revealing.
CLASS PERFORMANCE POLICIES:
South Bend Civic Theatre values the idea of process over production in our classes and so to make sure the students have the most time learning the skills we minimize the final “performance” to a demonstration. For most of our classes, the final class of each session has 30 minutes set aside at the end for family and friends to observe what the students have learned. This is not a performance or production, but rather an opportunity to get a better sense of what the students experienced throughout the session.
FOR THE ENDS OF SESSION 1 AND 3, THERE WILL BE AN IN-CLASS DEMONSTRATION. WE WILL HAVE FINAL SHOWCASE AT THE ENDS OF SESSIONS 2 AND 4. THERE WILL BE ONE ADDITIONAL REHEARSAL FOR SHOWCASES.
- If you cancel your registration after it has been processed, but at least two weeks before the class begins, we will refund tuition, less a $25 registration fee per class; a $50 fee for full-day classes and camps; and a $100 fee towards Company tuition.
- If you cancel your registration less than two weeks before the class starts, no refund will be given. Any tuition paid for the cancelled class, minus the registration fee, becomes a credit, which you may use towards future classes or camps which must be used within the following session.
- SBCT reserves the right to cancel a class if enrollment is insufficient. Any tuition paid will be refunded in full, minus a $3 ticketing fee.
- No refund will be provided for classes cancelled due to inclement weather. SBCT will do our best to find a suitable makeup date/time for the canceled class.
Bad Weather Cancelation Policy:
Our families' safety is important to us. We use various methods to decide whether or not to close education programs due to bad weather conditions, including school closures, weather warnings, and common sense. Because schools must consider children's safety waiting or walking outside in extreme cold, they may close when we stay open. If the weather is inclement but we do not cancel rehearsals or classes, participants in SBCT programs should use their own best judgement to determine whether or not it is safe to attend.
Please let your instructor know if weather prevents you from attending your class or rehearsal! If a class or rehearsal is canceled, we will make every effort to contact families individually by email. If you are not sure of your class status check our site, call our box office, or call the Director of Education's emergency contact number at 574-780-3574