SYNOPSIS: “The greatest adventure story of all time comes to the stage in a lively and theatrical fashion that will enthrall audiences of all ages. An old man enters the court of Ithaca where Queen Penelope and her son Telemachus have waited years for King Odysseus to return from the War with Troy. The old man says he sailed with the famous Greek hero and his tale comes to life before our eyes. But who is the old man and why has he come so far to tell this story? It turns out it is Odysseus himself, disguised by the goddess Athena so that he can be reunited with his family and be revenged on those who plan to steal his kingdom. The episodes are re-enacted with clever theatrics rather than spectacle and special effects. Here is an exciting theatre piece with many roles for an adventurous cast.”
DIRECTOR: Grace Lazarz
AGES CALLED: Grades 6-12
Auditions will take place 6:30-8:30 p.m. Dec. 28 & Dec. 29 on Zoom.
Most likely unnecessary, but date/time will be determined if needed
Rehearsals will take place Jan. 4-Feb. 5 via Zoom. All cast members may not be called for all rehearsals, but plan for 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
ODYSSEUS – King of Ithaca
A STRANGER – Odysseus disguised as an old man
PENELOPE – Odysseus’s wife
TELEMACHUS – their son, 21
ATHENA – goddess of Wisdom
CALYPSO – a seductive nymph
POLYPHEMUS – a wicked, giant Cyclops
CIRCE – a bewitching sorceress
NURSE – an old nurse in Ithaca
SCYLLA – a monster with six female heads
THE SIRENS – magical women spirits with enticing voices
6 SUITORS – six men fighting for Penelope’s hand
ODYSSEUS’S MEN – Greek warriors on his ship
HANDMAIDENS – in the palace in Ithaca
- The only in-person aspect may be to pick up props/costumes to borrow from the theatre…there will be no in-person gathering of the actors.
- This is intended to be a fully memorized production, not a reading.
- From the director: I’m hoping to make this virtual production as dynamic as possible! We will be working together to come up with dynamic, ensemble-based ways virtually to present this timeless tale. To this end, I am also seeking youth visual artists and youth composers/musicians to add exciting other artistic elements. Please reach out if this is you (or your kid) and want to get involved in a non-acting capacity!
- Students of all gender identities, ability, race, ethnicity, and sexual orientation are encouraged to audition.
- Feel free to share this notice to any student grades 6-12 you think might be interested!